Governor Newsom signs law to protect elderly Californians
SACRAMENTO – Governor Gavin Newsom today signed legislation increasing the transparency of the finances of skilled nursing homes, providing better access for older people to receive annual cognitive health assessments and improving access to video conferencing for seniors. people residing in senior care facilities so that they can connect with family, friends and health care providers.
SB 650 by Sen. Henry Stern (D-Los Angeles) requires nursing homes to submit annual financial reports, providing more transparency for nursing home finances; SB 48 by Senator Monique Limón (D-Santa Barbara) requires Medi-Cal to cover annual cognitive health assessment for people 65 years of age or older; and AB 665 by Assembly Member Eduardo Garcia (D-Coachella) requires residential facilities for adults and seniors with existing internet service to provide at least one internet access device for video calls.
Bills and additional texts signed by the Governor are available below:
- AB 66 by Assembly Member Tasha Boerner Horvath (D-Encinitas) – Coastal Resources: Research: Landslides and Erosion: Early Warning System: San Diego County.
- AB 277 by Assembly member Suzette Valladares (R-Santa Clarita) – Domestic violence: victims: addressing confidentiality.
- AB 323 by Assembly Member Ash Kalra (D-San Jose) – Long Term Health Facilities.
- AB 356 by Assembly Member Phillip Chen (R-Yorba Linda) – Fluoroscopy: temporary permit.
- AB 389 by Assembly Member Tim Grayson (D-Concord) – Ambulance Services.
- AB 396 by Coven Jesse Gabriel (D-Encino) – CalFresh: educational programs.
- AB 428 by Assembly member Chad Mayes (I-Rancho Mirage) – Local government: supervisory board.
- AB 450 by Assembly Member Lorena Gonzalez (D-San Diego) – Paramedic Disciplinary Review Committee.
- AB 494 by Assembly Member Chad Mayes (I-Rancho Mirage) – An Act to Regulate the Insurance Holding Company System.
- AB 532 by Assembly Member Jim Wood (D-Santa Rosa) – Healthcare: Fair Billing Policies.
- AB 535 by MP Cecilia Aguiar-Curry (D-Winters) – Olive oil: labeling.
- AB 537 by Assembly Member Bill Quirk (D-Hayward) – Communications: wireless telecommunications and broadband facilities.
- AB 570 by Assembly Member Miguel Santiago (D-Los Angeles) – Health care coverage for dependent parents.
- AB 665 by Assembly member Eduardo Garcia (D-Coachella) – Healthcare facilities: Internet access.
- AB 789 by Assembly Member Evan Low (D-Campbell) – Health Care Services.
- AB 849 by MP Eloise Gómez Reyes (D-Grand Terrasse) – Specialized care establishments: intermediate care establishments: civil liability.
- AB 890 by Assembly Member Sabrina Cervantes (D-Riverside) – Public Employee Pension Systems: Investment Management: Reports.
- AB 1020 by Assembly Member Laura Friedman (D-Glendale) – Healthcare Debt and Fair Billing.
- AB 1024 by Assembly Member Miguel Santiago (D-Los Angeles) – Hazardous Substances: Cleanups: Milestones and Contracting.
- AB 1042 By Assembly Member Reginald Byron Jones-Sawyer, Sr. (D-Los Angeles) – Qualified Nursing Facilities: Unpaid Penalties: Related Parties.
- AB 1104 by Assembly Member Tim Grayson (D-Concord) – Air Ambulance Services.
- AB 1273 by Assembly Member Freddie Rodriguez (D-Pomona) – Interagency Learning Advisory Committee: Director of Consumer Affairs and State Public Health Officer: Training Earn and Learn.
- AB 1280 by Assembly Member Jacqui Irwin (D-Thousand Oaks) – California Hospice Licensure Act of 1990.
- AB 1298 by Assembly Member Richard Bloom (D-Santa Monica) – Pesticides: use of 2nd generation anticoagulant rodenticides.
- AB 1344 By Assembly Member Dr. Joaquin Arambula (D-Fresno) – State Department of Public Health: needle and syringe exchange services.
- AB 1409 by MP Marc Levine (County of D-Marin) – Planning and zoning: general plan: security element.
- SB 13 by Senator Bill Dodd (D-Napa) – Local Agency Services: Contracts: Napa and San Bernardino counties.
- SB 23 by Senator Susan Rubio (D-Baldwin Park) – Disorderly Driving: Spreading Intimate Images: Limitation Period.
- SB 48 by Senator Monique Limόn (D-Santa Barbara) – Medi-Cal: annual assessment of cognitive health.
- SB 292 by Senator Scott Wilk (R-Santa Clarita) – Industrial hemp.
- SB 306 by Senator Richard Pan (D-Sacramento) – Sexually Transmitted Diseases: Screening.
- SB 336 by Senator Rosilicie Ochoa Bogh (R-Yucaipa) – Public health: COVID-19.
- SB 353 by Senator Richard D. Roth (D-Riverside) – Hospice: services for critically ill patients.
- SB 395 by Senator Anna Caballero (D-Salinas) – Excise tax: electronic cigarettes: Health Careers Opportunity Grant Program: Small and Rural Hospital Relief Program.
- SB 446 by Senator Steven Glazer (D-Orinda) – Factual innocence.
- SB 534 by Senator Brian W. Jones (R-Santee) – Dental Hygienists.
- SB 598 by Senator Richard Pan (D-Sacramento) – Sacramento Regional Transit District: Employee Relations.
- SB 650 by Senator Henry Stern (D-Los Angeles) – Qualified Nursing Facilities.
- SB 664 by Senator Ben Allen (D-Santa Monica) – Hospice licensure: moratorium on new licenses.
- SB 703 by Senator Melissa Hurtado (D-Sanger) – Sick animals: laboratory services.
- SB 721 by Senator Ben Hueso (D-San Diego) – California Farmworker Day.
The governor also announced that he had vetoed the following bills:
- AB 7 By Assembly Member Freddie Rodriguez (D-Pomona) – Emergency Ambulance Workers: Multi-Threat Personal Protective Equipment. A veto message can be found here.
- AB 418 by Assembly member Suzette Valladares (R-Santa Clarita) – Emergency services: grant program. A veto message can be found here.
- AB 515 by Assembly Member Phillip Chen (R-Yorba Linda) – Trespassing. A veto message can be found here.
- AB 1207 by Assembly Member Akilah Weber (D-San Diego) – Pathways Through Pandemics Task Force. A veto message can be found here.
- AB 1423 By Assembly Member Tom Daly (D-Anaheim) – Housing Programs: Collective Housing Programs: Spending of Loan Proceeds. A veto message can be found here.
- SB 494 by Senator Bill Dodd (D-Napa) – Law Enforcement: Training. A veto message can be found here.
- SB 549 by Senator Brian W. Jones (R-Santee) – Social workers: essential workers. A veto message can be found here.
- SB 556 by Senator Bill Dodd (D-Napa) – Street light poles, traffic light poles: small attachments of wireless installations. A veto message can be found here.
- SB 682 by Senator Susan Rubio (D-Baldwin Park) – Chronic Childhood Health Problems: Racial Disparities. A veto message can be found here.
- SB 792 by Senator Steven Glazer (D-Orinda) – Sales and Use Tax: Returns: Online Transactions: Local Jurisdiction Schedule. A veto message can be found here.
For the full text of the bills, visit: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov